PRAXIS: The Art of Reflective Action
- THE NEW COSMIC STORY by John F. Haught
- an audio interview with John Haught expanding on his blog
- blog post by Ilia Delio offering her reflections and deepening perspectives on this topic
- more quotes and practice and reflection questions
Omega Lectio Divina
Below we have provided a selection of quotes. As a contemplative practice, we suggest reading through these passages using the OMEGA LECTIO DIVINA method and outline. Perhaps share what arises for you with a trusted friend or write your reflections as a journal exercise.
Quotes for Contemplation
A dynamic interior spirit must be at the heart of change. Change is not what happens outside us; rather, change must first take root within us. If we cannot embrace change interiorly we will not accept change exteriorly unless it is thrust upon us; and then it is not live-giving change, but forced endurance.
~ Ilia Delio, Christ in Evolution
The time has come to realise that an interpretation of the universe—even a positivist one—remains unsatisfying unless it covers the interior as well as the exterior of things; mind as well as matter. The true physics is that which will, one day, achieve the inclusion of man in his wholeness in a coherent picture of the world.
~ Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, The Human Phenomenon
We need to create an interior universe. We live in this outer universe but we don’t know our own inner universe…We’ve done enough discovery now in the outer universe to last us for a while, why not discover our inner universe. Be an explorer.
~ Ilia Delio Creating an Interior Universe (audio interview)
Practice and Reflection Questions
- What comes to mind for you as a way to strengthen our “interiority”? What practices would be helpful?
- How might a greater emphasis on interiority change your way of acting in the world or relating to others in your life?
- Practicing and exploring with others is both supportive and helps us grow beyond our individual perspective. Do you have a community of “fellow explorers” to support your inner work, contemplative practice, and understanding of an evolutionary worldview? Where might you find such a supportive community, or with whom could you start one? You can read Ilia Delio’s suggestions and outline for forming a group here.
An archive of Praxis pages from earlier this year can be found here.