Ilia Delio, OSF is a Franciscan Sister of Washington, DC and American theologian specializing in the area of science and religion, with interests in evolution, physics and neuroscience and the import of these for theology.
Ilia currently holds the Josephine C. Connelly Endowed Chair in Theology at Villanova University, and is the author of seventeen books including Care for Creation (coauthored with Keith Warner and Pamela Woods) which won two Catholic Press Book Awards in 2009, first place for social concerns and second place in spirituality. Her book The Emergent Christ won a third place Catholic Press Book Award in 2011 for the area of Science and Religion. Her recent books include The Unbearable Wholeness of Being: God, Evolution and the Power of Love (Orbis, 2013), which received the 2014 Silver Nautilus Book Award and a third place Catholic Press Association Award for Faith and Science.Read More
Ilia graduated with a B.S. in Biology from DeSales University and pursued a masters degree in Biology at Seton Hall University, followed by a doctorate in Pharmacology from Rutgers University–New Jersey Medical School. Her area of specialization was neurotoxicology, with an emphasis on neuromuscular disease and she wrote her dissertation on axonal dysfunction in an experimental model of Lou Gehrig’s (ALS) disease. She relinquished a postdoctoral fellowship at Johns Hopkins University in Alzheimer’s research to enter a Carmelite monastery. She later left the monastery and joined a Franciscan community. After entering the Franciscans, she returned to research and did a postdoctoral fellowship at Rutgers University, Neurotoxicology Laboratories where she became a Research Fellow. Her work at Rutgers included experimental drug treatment for diabetic neuropathy and assessment of sensory nerve damage due to methyl mercury intoxication.
While in formation with her Franciscan community, she was asked to study theology and was sent to Fordham University. She obtained a masters degree in Theology and a doctorate in historical theology, studying under Professor Ewert Cousins.
Following graduation from Fordham she taught in Science and Religion at Trinity College, Hartford, CT. For the next twelve years, she was Professor and Chair of Spirituality Studies at Washington Theological Union, where she taught courses in the History of Christianity, Franciscan theology, and Science and Religion. She then became a Senior Research Fellow at Woodstock Theological Center, Georgetown University concentrating in Science and Religion. When Woodstock closed in June, 2013, she was hired by Georgetown University as Director of Catholic Studies and Visiting Professor.
Personal Transformation and a New Creation: Essays in Honor of Beatrice Bruteau – Ilia Delio, Editor
Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2016
Top scholars examine the theories of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin through the lens of Beatrice Bruteau’s pioneering work on evolution and consciousness. Contributors include Cynthia Bourgeault, Ursula King, Barbara Fiand, Kerrie Hide, Gabrielle Stoner, Kathleen Duffy, John Shea, Carla De Sola, and Joshua Tysinger.
The books listed below are available at Amazon.com, just click on the links!
- Making All Things New: Catholicity in the21st Century- Maryknoll, New York: Orbis, 2015
- From Teilhard to Omega: Co-creating anUnfinished Universe- Maryknoll, New York: Orbis Books, 2014
- Simply Bonaventure: An Introduction to HisLife, Thought, and Writings- New City Press; 2nd Edition, 2013
- The Unbearable Wholeness of Being: God,Evolution, and the Power of Love- Maryknoll, New York: Orbis Books, 2013
- Compassion: Living in the Spirit of St.Francis- Cincinnati: St. Anthony Messenger Press, 2011
- The Emergent Christ – Maryknoll, N.Y.:Orbis Books, 2011 (2nd printing). Catholic Press Association Book Award 2012, 3rd Place: Faith and Science
- Ten Evenings with God – MO: LigouriPress, 2008
- Christ in Evolution – Maryknoll, N.Y.:Orbis Books, 2008 (3rd printing). Translated into Italian and Polish
- Clare of Assisi: A Heart Full of Love– Cincinnati: St. Anthony Messenger Press, 2007
- The Humility of God: A FranciscanPerspective- Cincinnati: St. Anthony Messenger Press, 2005
- Franciscan Prayer – Cincinnati: St.Anthony Messenger Press, 2004
- A Franciscan View of Creation: Learning to Live in a SacramentalWorld- Heritage Series. Number 2. Edited by Joseph P. Chinnici. New York: The Franciscan Institute, 2003
- Crucified Love: Bonaventure’s Mysticism of theCrucified Christ- Quincy, IL: Franciscan Press, 1998
Ilia’s Books with Other Authors
- Humanity on the Threshold: Religious Essays on Transhumanism. Washington, D.C.: Catholic University Press, 2014- with John Haughey, S.J.
- Oneing: The Perennial Tradition (2013) – et al
- Franciscans and Liturgical Life: Let Us Praise, Adore and GiveThanks (2006)- et al
- Care for Creation: A Franciscan Spirituality ofthe Earth- with Keith Douglass Warner OFM and Pamela Wood, Cincinnati: St. Anthony Messenger Press, 2008. 2009 Catholic Press
Book Award: 1st Place for Social Concerns, 2nd Place for Spirituality
- Franciscans and the Scriptures: Living in the Word of God:Washington Theological Union Symposium Papers, 2005- et al
- Go Rebuild My House: Franciscans and the Church Today (2004)– et al
- Franciscans and Creation: What Is Our Responsibility (WashingtonTheological Union Symposium Papers 2003, CFIT/ESC-OFN – Number 3)- et al
- Franciscan Identity and Postmodern Culture: WashingtonTheological Union Symposium Papers 2002 (Cfit/Esc-Ofm Series)- et al
- Franciscans and Health Care: Facing the Future (2001) – etal
- Franciscan Intellectual Tradition – et al, Cincinnati: St.Anthony Messenger Press, 2001
- Seeing Christianity as a Religion of Evolution & the Implications for Religious Life: An interview with theologian Ilia Delio, OSF
- A PDF version of this article is available HERE.
- See the full Summer 2012 issue of the LCWR Occasional Papers: Leadership and the Evolution of Consciousness HERE.
Ilia’s Articles With the National Catholic Reporter
- A variety of NCR articles by Ilia Delio can be found HERE.
Ilia’s DVD Series
- EVOLUTION AND CHRISTOGENESIS – A series of six lectures produced in collaboration with The Well Spirituality Center
- Evolution and Christogenesis: A New Paradigm
- The Living Universe: A Synthesis of Science and Spirituality
- Christ: The Soul of the Evolving Universe
- Cosmogenesis as Christogenesis: Birthing the Christ
- Technology and Noogenesis: Convergence of Consciousness
- The Living Church: Christifying Love for a New Humanity
EVOLUTION AND CHRISTOGENESIS – 6 DVD Set for $69.99, available for purchase HERE.
A short preview from this video lecture series: